Our Vision for Maths:
- To have a solid understanding of number and shape and measure.
- To develop children who are independent learners and can use a range of strategies to solve different mathematical problems.
- To provide learning experiences that encourage a reasoning and mastery approach.
- To develop children who are confident to independently use a range of concrete and pictorial resources to aid their learning.
Shaping Our Maths Curriculum:
The Maths curriculum at our school focuses on encouraging children to question, reason, investigate and solve problems. We use a variety of strategies to allow this, which give children the opportunity to explore their thinking and ideas. Wherever possible, practical, ‘real’ activities are used to introduce concepts, transfer skills learnt and reinforce learning objectives, ensuring the children are engaged through enjoyable, stimulating activities.
The main areas taught are:
- Number and place value,
- Addition, subtraction,
- Multiplication and division
- Geometry: Properties of shape, position and direction
- Algebra, ratio and proportion at year 6.
Our Maths curriculum is also drawn from:
White Rose maths
Times Table Rockstars